Friday, November 30, 2012

Thanksgiving

Shared by Dene . . .

Hope ya'll had a great Thanksgiving.  For the second year in a row we decided to be like the pioneers and go camping for Thanksgiving.  All right, not exactly like the pioneers.  We took the RV and hooked up to water and electricity, but still, we were in the woods.  Last year we went to Amicalola Falls State Park in Georgia.  It was beautiful.  There were even wild turkeys roaming about.

I think there's a turkey or two in this picture, but you have to look real close.
I was kind of excited, because I would not be cooking Thanksgiving Dinner.  There was a lodge at the park that served a beautiful buffet, so everyone got all they wanted of turkey, ham, dressing and the works.
Turkeys up close and personal.
 My kids are not very cooperative when it comes to taking pictures - but they're still cute, and I'm not biased at all.


My brother-in-law and sister-in-law joined us in their motorhome.  And my nephew and his girlfriend came in from Atlanta.


 After lunch Barry and Whitney went on this little trek.  I had a bad back and knee, so I stayed at the top and cheered them on.  Cody left us all in the dust, as he rode his bike around the park and to the top of some mountain.  (Didn't get pictures of that.)

This year we went to High Falls State Park, again in Georgia.  The same cast of characters joined us.  About three days before we left we discovered there would be nowhere to dine, so my sister-in-law, Judy and I had to also plan on supplying all that stuff.  Thank goodness for Honey Baked Hams.  High Falls Park was not as "high" in the mountains as Amicalola, but it did provide us Floridians with fall colors and leaves on the ground.




There were plenty of places for hikes, but of course my children have to live on the edge.  I wish so bad I had a picture of the sign that was posted saying "be careful, injury and fatalities can and have occurred on these rocks."


Luckily they survived yet again.


Tree stumps make a great playground for these guys.

 It is so great to share these adventures with Randy, Judy, Justin and Alyce.

We had to keep the food covered because there were these bees or yellow jackets that just wanted to eat so bad.
Our feast was wonderful, right down to the tofurky that Whitney brought (although I'm pretty sure she's the only one that ate it.) 


One thing is for sure - these guys are at the top of my Thanksgiving list.

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly

5 comments:

  1. You're so neat :) Did you do the jarred cakes for Thanks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. No, didn't do the canned cakes for Thanksgiving. Maybe Christmas. Want some?

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great weekend! How did Cody grow a beard so fast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consolidated two Thanksgivings into one post. So if you look at the first pictures, Whitney has long brown hair and Cody actually has long red hair (the prettiest red hair I have ever seen, even if I do say so myself). That was Thanksgiving 2011. In 2012 both kids have short, stylish hair. So you could say it took Cody a year to grow a beard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. I didn't even notice the hair changes. ;)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ... Run both ways and hurry back!