Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A "Grand" Sleepover

Shared by Kim . . .

We had our 4th traditional grand children's "slumber under the Christmas tree".  In order to attend you need to be able to sleep in a sleeping bag without wandering all over the house -- typically at least three years old.  Mr B always goes to bed while I stay up until all the kiddos are nestled all snug in their beds while visions of sugar plums dance in their heads.  [Alex (4) still asks when I'm going to bed OR he tells me "you can go to bed now."  I hear a little scheming going on in his head.]

This isn't an activity for the faint of heart or high-strung Mother.  Patience and flexibility are required.  As a former pre-school teacher, it's always easier to plan activities around a theme.  All you have to do is tweak the format.  When the kids are still young, they'll enjoy anything you try, but I'm sure as they get older I'll have to step up my preparations.  (P.S.  parent pickup time is before high noon)

Each year we:

make a kitchen craft
play games
read books
watch a movie
go on Grandpa's morning walk
eat Ebelskivers for breakfast
make an ornament
play musical chairs  

This year was all about snowmen.

 A Pinteresting idea . . .
(it wasn't as easy to dip the cookie as shown -- my tip below in italics)
Parent Tip #1:  I worked with a child or two at a time while the others were watching the movie.

  • Melt the almond bark in the microwave
  • Untwist the Oreo cookies and place the sucker stick on top of creme filling -- put a little melted bark on top of stick to help it stick better when you put the other cookie half on top
  • Dip carefully to spread almond bark over cookie
  • Decorate with mini chips and candy corn, cut in half



 What do you do when you don't have a White Christmas?
Have a snowball fight anyway.

I'm sure you could make something like this, but I found this adorable bucket at Hallmark.  The kids had so much fun taking turns trying to hit 4 other moving targets.



Crafts for kids can be very challenging.  The adult in me wants it to be something well-done all the while knowing it's the experience that is more important.  These Pinteresting ornaments were actually very easy using acrylic craft paint, some markers, and their hands.  Parent Tip #2:  I, again, worked with a child at a time while the others played with their peppermint playdough.  

I love the ladies on Pinterest!  Other ideas we used:

Peppermint playdough -- download labels

Christmas action cards (download) -- used for a Go Fish (Merry Christmas!) and a matching game

Christmas Bingo cards -- so many choices online to download

If you haven't tried this tradition, I highly recommend it.  I'm hoping it will yield great dividends in the future as well.

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly

3 comments:

Thanks for stopping by ... Run both ways and hurry back!